Saturday 31 January 2015

Anxiety and Stress

This is a blog post I've been wanting to do for quite a while now because I don't think its something that is talked about in the way it should be. I mean, its definitely talked about more than it was a couple of years ago but does anyone really address it properly? I believe its important to look at the science behind it as well as ways to help. I've been struggling with stress and anxiety for years but its never really been explained properly to me, not even by a doctor. So, I did a bit of research...
 
Stress
 
Stress is a completely normal thing and if your body uses it in the correct way it can be great. it can keep you motivated, active and challenges you.It's a natural reaction and can really help you in dangerous situations (its part of the fight-or-flight process). Stress is part of releasing hormones, like adrenaline, when you in an emergency situation. However, when your body is overworked and you become too stressed it can very negative affects. This kind of stress can effect your mood, your productivity, your relationships, and your quality of life. It is important that we keep our stress levels as low as possible and find a way to recognise when we are becoming too stressed. Sometimes stress starts affecting you so much that eventually you don't even release it there- this can be extremely dangerous. It's so important that you listen to your body because if you don't it can have some very devastating affects.

 
Anxiety
 
If you are affected by anxiety then it can be really controlling. It generally takes over you and affects how we feel, how we behave and has a lot of physical symptoms. There are different levels of anxiety- some people have mild anxiety, where as some people physically can't do anything because they are so scared. Anxiety, similar to stress, is part of the fight-or-flight process. It's an action that sometimes takes place in our body and can cause uncontrollable fears. Anxiety, ironically, is caused by stress. Some of us are more vulnerable to anxiety than others but we can learn to control it. Anxiety is sometimes made worse by negative self talk- the process of which we tell ourselves things are worse than they actually are.
 
Symptoms of anxiety- Tense muscles, trembling, churning stomach, nausea, headaches, backache, heart palpitations and numbness. I also get panic attacks with my anxiety which is also very common.
 
I am currently going through sessions of CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) which is the process of changing the way you think and feel about things. This has really helped me and is something I highly suggest if you are struggling with depression, anxiety, stress, panic disorders or anything similar.
 
I am in no way an expert in anything I have just written about but I do have experience with it and I really hope this blog post has helped at least one of you!
 
Bye bugs xox
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment